Sunday, June 27, 2010

Inkscape for Kids

I'm going to collaborate with my friend Phil Shapiro on some educational materials for Inkscape. If you're not familiar with this cool program, it's a FREE 2D vector drawing tool. Like SketchUp, it can be easily used by kids, and kids LOVE it. I got my kids started on it today, with very little guidance, and I've been hearing "cool!" "awesome!" and "Mom, check this OUT!" from the next room. This from my 9, 8, and 6 year olds - the 3 year old twins haven't started yet.

Phil recommended a book he saw on Lulu called Ilustratus (great name!) which costs a whopping $4.76 as a PDF download. I shelled out the money and now my kids are working through the projects. It seems pretty good for ages 5-8.



Our idea is to build upon these basic concepts and come up with a book / DVD / screencast, or some combo, to show kids a bunch of fun and easy art projects in Inkscape. We'll keep you posted! In the meantime, anyone who has experience with Inkspace and kids is welcome to get in touch to share ideas, suggestions, etc.



Anyone can design anything in 3D! http://www.3dvinci.net/

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon
Join our FREE Email Mailing List!



No comments: